JAB Holding Company Sarl
- 1 Company
- 2 Holdings
- 3 Timelines
- 4 Articles
- 5 References
JAB (from "Joh A Benckiser") is a privately-held German conglomerate that owns companies operating in the consumer goods, forestry, coffee, luxury fashion and fast food arenas, amongst others. It is 90% owned by Germany's Reimann family,ref and headquartered in Luxembourg.ref, ref, ref.
JAB is not a typical investment vehicle. Rather than just taking large stakes in big companies, or flipping businesses for a profit, the firm tends to buy companies or brands in their entirety and run them. Instead of investment managers, it is led by 3 CEOs.ref
- Majority %: Agnaten SE, was Parentes Holding SE, Bb, reg. Austria
- Lucresca SE, controlled by family members of the shareholders of Agnaten SE, Bb, reg. Austria
- Min.%: Donata Holdings BV, OC, reg. Netherlands
- JAB Holding Company Sàrl, OC, reg. Luxembourg
- JAB Investments Sàrl, OC, reg. Luxembourg
- JAB Holdings BV, OC, reg. Netherlands
- 2.97%: Reckitt Benckiser Group plc, CH, MS, reg. UK
- JAB Luxury GmbH, was Labelux Group GmbH, OC, reg. Switzerland
- JAB Cosmetics BV, Bb, reg. Netherlands
- JAB Forest BV, OC, reg. Netherlands
- † 61.4%: Acorn Holding BV, Bb, reg. Netherlands
- 56.1%: JAB Coffee Holding BV, OC, reg. Netherlands
- 60.2%: Beech I GP, ?? / Jab Beech Inc. OC, Bb, reg. Delaware
- JAB Holdings BV, OC, reg. Netherlands
- JAB Investments Sàrl, OC, reg. Luxembourg
† Shareholders: Delta Charger HoldCo BV (56.16%) + Mondelez Coffee Holdco BV (26.35%) + JDE Holding Minority BV (16.91%) + JDE Management (0.58%).
‡ Parent company Pam Group Ltd was acquired from Bridgepoint Advisers Ltd, who owned 69%; the founders had 16%; and management 15%, CH.
- ‡ Adidas Body Care
- ‡ Bruno Banani Fragrances
- cenoura & bronze
- ‡ James Bond 007 Fragrances
- † Katy Perry Parfums
- Max Factor
- ‡ MEXX
- † ‡ Nautica Fragrances
- Sally Hansen
- Younique Sales
- ‡ Alexander McQueen
- ‡ Balenciaga
- ‡ Bottega Veneta Fragrances
- ‡ Burberry
- ‡ Calvin Klein Fragrances
- ‡ Chloe Fragrances
- ‡ Davidoff Parfums
- Escada Fragrances
- ‡ Gucci Fragrances
- ‡ Hugo Boss
- ‡ Jil Sander Fragrances
- Joop! Fragrances
- ‡ Lacoste Fragrances
- ‡ Marc Jacobs Fragrances
- ‡ Miu Miu
- ‡ Roberto Cavalli
- ‡ Stella McCartney
- ‡ Tiffany Fragrances
- Kadus Professional
- Londa Professional
- ‡ Sassoon Professional
- System Professional
- Wella Professionals
- Listed in the Annual Report 2018, but not on the website.
- † ‡ David Beckham
- † ‡ Beyoncé Parfums
- † ‡ Enrique Inglesias, ref
- † Jovan
- † ‡ Stetson
Keurig Dr Pepper Inc
The Keurig system centres around "K-pods", a 4-layer sandwich of specialised plastic #5 topped with 100% non-recyclable plastic foil. Inventor John Sylvan has divested his shares in Keurig Green Mountain, expressing regret for his idea. Despite Keurig's "recycling initiative", Sylvan says "no matter what they say, those things will never be recyclable".ref
- The profit margin on K-Cups is extraordinary: the 11 grams of coffee in K-Cups costs ~$40 per lb -vs- $4 per lb for (eg.) Folger's, or even $11 per lb for the really fancy stuff.
- The cups are technically recyclable if you separate all the layers (with difficulty), rinse everything; then recycle the parts separately.ref Seriously? So not going to happen; just because something is recyclable, doesn't mean it will be. Hamburg banned pods from state-run buildings;ref many others have since followed suit.
- Newer Keurig machines will not accept reusable Ekobrew pods; that's not an accident, it's digital rights management for coffee machines.
- Keurig Green Mountain is very secretive about how many K-Cups it sells each year; best estimates say the 13 billion buried in landfill in 2014 would circle the Earth ~12 times.ref
- K-Cups have far higher energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions than brewing coffee the old-fashioned way.
- Taxpayers (you and I) pay for refuse disposal, street cleanups, landfill costs, and environmental damage, not tax-haven company Keurig. Add those costs onto the price of an oh-so-convenient K-Cup.
Coffees and Teas
- Keurig, ws, Wp
- † Barista Bros
- Barista Prima Coffeehouse
- Brulerie Mont Royal, ref
- Brulerie St. Denis, ref, ref
- † Cafe Bustelo, ws, Wp → JM Smucker Company, ref
- Cafe Escapes
- Cafe Gila, ws
- † Cafe Punta del Cielo, ws, ws
- Caribou Coffee, ws, Arcapita, Wp
- † Cinnabon, ws, Wp → Focus Brands
- Coffee People (Diedrich subsid), Wp, ref
- Diedrich Coffee, ws, Wp
- Donut House Collection
- Donut Shop Coffee
- † Dunkin' Donuts Coffee
- † Eight O'Cock, ws, Wp → Tata Group#Tata Global Beverages Ltd
- † Emeril, ref, Emeril Lagasse § Merchandising and endorsements → Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia → Sequential Brands Group
- † Folgers, ws, Wp → JM Smucker Company, ref
- Forto, ws
- Gevalia Coffee, ws, Wp → Jacobs Douwe Egberts
- † Gloria Jean's Coffees, ws, ref, Wp → Retail Food Group
- Green Mountain, ws, ws, Wp
- † High Brew, ws → Bberg
- Holly's Coffee, ws, Wp
- † illy, ws, B'berg, wp
- † Kahlúa Coffee
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, ws, Wp
- Laughing Man Coffee Company, ws
- † Laura Secord, ws, Wp
- † LavAzza, ws, Wp
- † McCafe, wp → McDonald's
- Orient Express Coffee, ref
- † Maxwell House, ws, wp → Kraft Heinz
- † New England Coffee, ws → Reily Foods Company
- † Newman's Own Organics, ws, Wp + ref
- Panera Bread, ws, Wp
- Peet's Coffee, ws, Wp
- REVV Strong Coffee, ws,
- † Seattle's Best
- † Starbucks (licensed)
- † Swiss Miss (licensed), ws, Wp → ConAgra Brands Inc
- † Tim Hortons
- Timothy's, ws, Wp
- Tully's Coffee, ws, ref, Wp
- Van Houtte, ws, Wp
- † Bigelow, ws, Wp → RC Bigelow Inc.
- Celestial Tea (licensed), ws, Wp → Hain Celestial Group
- † Lipton → Unilever, Wp
- † Luzianne, ws → Reily Foods Company
- Snapple Teas, ws, Wp
- Straight up Tea, ws,
- Tazo Tea, ws, Wp → Unilever
- † Tetley, ws, Wp → Tata Group#Tata Global Beverages Ltd
- † Twinings Teas, Wp → Associated British Foods
Soft Drinks, Juices, Waters, etc.
- 7Up, ws, wp
- A&W Root Beer, ws, wp
- Big Red (distrib/min%), ws, wp
- Canada Dry, ws, wp
- CPlus Orange Burst
- Crush, ws, ws, wp
- Diet Rite, ws, wp
- Dr Pepper, ws, wp
- Hires Root Beer,
- IBC Root Beer, ws, wp
- Stewart's Fountain Classics, ws, Wp
- RC Cola / Royal Crown Cola,
- Schweppes, ws, Wp
- Squirt Soda, ws, Wp
- SunDrop, ws, Wp
- Vernors Ginger Ale,
- All Sport (distrib), Big Red brand, ws, Wp
- Bai, ws, wp
- BodyArmor (distrib/%), ref, ref, B'berg, Wp,
- Core Hydration (distrib), ws
- Deja Blue,
- Hydrive Energy Water, ws, Big Red brand
- Evian (licensed) → Danone
- Fiji Water (distrib), ws, Wp → Wonderful Company
- Neuro, (distrib), ws, Bberg
- Schweppes, ws, EU, US
- Venom Energy, ws, Wp
- XYience Energy, Big Red brand, ref, ref
- Clamato, ws, Wp
- Fruit20 (distrib), SunnyD=owner, ws, Wp
- Hawaiian Punch, ws, Wp
- Green Mountain Cider
- Margaritaville, ws, Wp → Margaritaville Foods LLC → Margaritaville Holdings LLC → Cheeseburger Holding Company, LLC
- Mott's, ws, Wp
- [x Mott's Clamato], ws
- [x Motts Fruitsations], ws
- Mr & Mrs T, ws, Wp
- Mistic (distrib), B'berg → Cadbury
- Nantucket Nectars,
- Orangina, ws, Wp → Suntory Holdings Ltd (o/s USA+CA)
ws, Wp, readme
- Rose's, Wp
- Snapple Juices, ws, Wp
- SunnyD (distrib), parent ws, B'berg, Wp
- Vita Coco (distrib), ws, B'berg
- Welch's, ws, Wp
- Yoo-Hoo, ws, Wp
- Cactus Cooler, Wp
- Nehi Cola, link, link, Wp
- Tahitian Treat Fruit Punch, readme, readme
- Vitamin Burst, ref
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
- Jacobs, Cafe Hag, https://www.jacobskaffee.de/jacobs-kaffee-produkte/jacobs-filterkaffee/
- L'Or, https://www.jacobsdouweegberts.com/brands/retail-brands/lor/, https://www.lorespresso.com/en_gb/
- Tassimo, https://www.tassimo.com/, https://www.tassimo.co.uk/
- Jacobs Douwe Egberts, https://www.douwe-egberts.co.uk/
- Pilao, http://www.pilao.com.br/
- Moccona, http://www.moccona.com.au/
- Super, http://supergroupltd.com/, http://supergroupltd.com/html/brand.php
- Gevalia, https://www.gevalia.se
- Senseo, https://www.senseo.de/, machine
- Kenco, https://www.kenco.co.uk/
Pret Panera Holding Company
- Pret A Manger, https://www.pret.com/
- Panera Bread, Panera LLC, http://www.panerabread.com/
- Einstein Bros Bagels, https://www.einsteinbros.com/
- Bruegger's Bagels, https://www.brueggers.com/
- Noah's BY Bagels, https://www.noahs.com/
- Caribou Coffee, https://www.cariboucoffee.com/
- Epresso House, http://www.espressohouse.com/
- Baresso Coffee, https://baresso.com/
- Balzac Coffee, http://www.balzaccoffee.com/
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
- Sept.2018: Bridgepoint Capital.
- Aug.2018: JAB Group acquired further Coty Inc. shares.
- Jun.2018: JAB Group reduced its shareholdings in Reckitt Benckiser to below 3%.
- Feb.2018: Bally International AG: JAB sold a majority controlling stake to Chinese materials conglomerate Jining Ruyi Investment Company Ltd § Shandong Ruyi.ref JAB retained a minority stake, as did Bally's management team.ref
- Jan.2018: Keurig Dr Pepper Inc: Keurig Green Mountain Inc announced it was acquiring Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc, with JAB owning 87% of the merged companies.ref,ref Keurig Green Mountain and Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc have entered into a definitive agreement to create Keurig Dr Pepper, a new beverage company with a portfolio of iconic consumer brands and unrivalled distribution capability to reach virtually every point-of-sale in North America. The transaction was completed in Jul.2018.ref, p.8
- Nov.2017: Au Bon Pain Company, a Boston-based bakery-cafe chain, was re-acquired by Panera Bread. Panera founded the chain in 1981, but sold it in 1999.ref
- Aug.2017: Bruegger's Bagels was acquired by Caribou Coffee.ref,ref
- Jul.2017: Jimmy Choo: JAB announced the sale of their 67.6% stake in Jimmy Choo to Michael Kors Holdings Ltd.ref,ref The transaction was completed in Nov.2017.ref
- Apr.2017: Panera Bread Company, a fast casual bakery-café chain, acquired by Beech I GP.ref, ref
- Feb.2017: Younique: Coty Inc acquired a 60% majority shareholding in the online peer-to-peer social selling platform.ref
- Jan.2017: Jacob Douwe Egberts BV announced ts intention to acquire in Brazil a portfolio of local brands from Cacique Company, including Pelé, Graníssimo and Tropical.ref
- May.2016: Krispy Kreme: JAB Beech agreed to acquire the US doughnut shop operator.ref
- Mar.2016: Keurig Green Mountain Inc, maker of home and office coffee brewing systems, was acquired by JAB and other investors.ref, refref
- Jul.2015: Proctor & Gamble's Beauty business: acquired 43 brands from P&G's global fine fragrances, salon professional, cosmetics and retail hair color businesses, along with select hair styling brands. Completed in Oct.2015.ref,ref Also acquired the personal care and beauty business of Hypermarcas S.A., known as Brazil Acquisition has strengthened its position in the Brazil.
- Oct.2015: Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea: a majority stake was acquired by Peet's Coffee and Tea in the Chicago-based chain of coffee shops.ref
- Oct.2015: Stumptown Coffee Roasters, based in Portland, Oregon, was acquired.
- Oct.2014: Jimmy Choo was taken public by JAB.ref
- Sept.2014: Einstein Noah Restaurant Group, whose bagel shops include Einstein Brothers Bagels, Noah’s New York Bagels and Manhattan Bagel, said it would sell itself to JAB Holding Company.ref
- Aug.2014: Mighty Leaf Tea, a specialty tea retailer based in the San Francisco Bay area, was acquired under the Peet's Coffee and Tea brand.ref
- May.2014: Jacobs Douwe Egberts was formed by the merger of D.E Master Blenders 1753 NV with Douwe Egberts, the coffee division of US food conglomerate Mondelez International.
- Late.2013: Coffee giant Douwe Egberts, majority stake in a company combining Douwe Egberts and Mondelez’s coffee brands into Jacobs Douwe Egberts.
- Apr.2013: D E Master Blenders 1753 NV: JAB Holding Company made an offer to purchase the coffee and tea company spun off by Sara Lee Corp.ref DE Master Blenders later bought Norway's Kaffehuset Friele coffee manufacturer.ref
- Early 2013: Caribou Coffee
- Jul.2012: Peet’s Coffee and Tea was acquired by JAB.
- Nov.2012: Derek Lam: Labelux Group sold luxury fashion brand Derek Lam to the label's founders.ref
- May.2012: JAB announced its intention to sell 4.9% of shares in Reckitt Benckiser, to raise funds for Coty's acquisition of Avon.ref
- May.2011: Jimmy Choo plc was acquired by JAB Luxury (then Labelux Group GmbH) from private equity firm TowerBrook Capital Partners LP.ref,ref,ref, Jimmy Choo Ltd
- Dec.2010: TJoy Holdings Ltd: City Inc acquired a majority stake in China's skin-care company. TJoy's management will hold the remaining shares.ref
- Nov.2010: Dr. Scheller Cosmetics AG was acquired by Coty Inc from Russia's Kalina Group.ref
- Nov.2010: Philosophy, a beauty brand focused on skin care, was acquired by Coty Inc from the Carlyle Group.ref
- 2010: OPI Products, a nail polish brand popular in salons, acquired from the Carlyle Group.ref,ref
- 2009: Deutsche Kontor Privatbank: The family founded DKP, a private bank based in Munich, to offer wealth management services to other non-family members.ref, WP.de, Deutsche Kontor
- Jul.2008: Derek Lam: JAB Luxury acquired a majority stake.ref
- Apr.2008: Bally International AG: Labelux acquired Bally Shoes from private equity firm TPG Capital.ref
- 2007: DLI Holding, the company that owns Sally Hansen (a nail polish brand), and N.Y.C. New York Color (a low-priced cosmetics line).
- Dec.1999: Reckitt Benckiser plc was formed by the family-engineered merger of consumer goods group Reckitt & Colman plc and Benckiser NV.ref,ref
- 1997: The family took Benckiser public.
- 1996: Coty acquired Unilever's European cosmetic brands, including Rimmel.ref
- May.1992: Coty Inc: Joh A Benckiser GmbH purchased Coty from Pfizer Inc. Pfizer had acquired Coty about 30 years earlier from François Coty’s former wife and her husband.ref,ref,ref
- May.1990: Margaret Astor and Lancaster cosmetics businesses acquired by Joh A Benckiser GmbH from SmithKline.ref
- Dec.1989: SmithKline's Household Products business in NortLudwig Reimann h America acquired by Joh A Benckiser GmbH.ref
- May.1987: Ecolab, a Minnesota-based provider of institutional cleaning services and products said the sale of its US and international consumer business to Joh A Benckiser GmbH will eliminate the majority of its consumer products and allow it to concentrate on its service businesses, where it sees better growth potential.ref,ref,ref
- 1984: Albert junior died, leaving equal stakes to his 9 adopted children. Wolfgang, Renate, Matthias and Stefan gradually bought out the other 5 children.ref
- 1954: Reckitt & Colman Holdings Ltd was incorporated.
- 1952: Albert junior, Ludwig’s great-grandson, inherited the company and pushed it in the direction of consumer goods, introducing household cleaning agents like softeners and detergents.ref
- ?date?: Ludwig Reimann joined the company and married Johann Adam Benckiser’s daughter.
- 1823: Johann Adam Benckiser bought a chemicals business in Pforzheim.ref
- ?date?: Reckitt & Colman plc sold the Glamorene brand of carpet care products to Joh A Benckiser GmbH, pursuant to a Federal Trade Commission divestiture order.ref
- Unilever history, AdAge (show pg src). Glamorene links: ref, ref, ref,ref
- Reckitt Benckiser Group plc sold its food business to McCormick & Company Inc.ref,ref See also Encyclopedia.com
Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc
- Kul.2018: Keurig Dr Pepper: Keurig Green Mountain completed its merger with Dr Pepper Snapple Group.ref
- Feb.2010: Kraft Foods Inc acquired Cadbury plc and Cadbury Schweppes plc.
- 2008: Cadbury Schweppes plc separated its beverage business in the USA, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean from its global confectionery business. Involved two steps:
- May.01.2008: Cadbury plc became the parent company of Cadbury Schweppes.
- May.07.2008: Cadbury plc transferred the subsidiaries to Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc, which became an independent publicly-traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange. In return for the transfer, Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc distributed its common stock to Cadbury plc shareholders.
- Jul.2007: Southeast-Atlantic Beverage Corporation was acquired.
- May-Aug.2006: May: Dr Pepper/Seven Up Bottling Group Inc: acquired the remaining 55%.
Jun: All American Bottling Company: acquired the assets.
Aug: Seven Up Bottling Company of San Francisco was acquired. The bottlers were integrated into the Packaged Beverages segment.
- 2003: Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages was formed by integrating the 4 businesses: Mott’s LLP, Snapple Beverage Corporation, Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc, and Bebidas Mexico.
- 2000: Snapple Beverage Corporation was acquired; as well as some other brands.
- 1999: Dr Pepper/Seven Up Bottling Group Inc: acquired a 40% interest in Cadbury's Schweppes largest independent bottler. In 2005, increased stake to 45%.
- 1995: Dr Pepper/Seven Up Companies Inc was acquired by Cadbury Schweppes, which had previously made minority investments in the company.
- 1980s-1990: Built on the existing Schweppes business by adding brands such as Mott’s, Canada Dry and A&W and a license for Sunkist soda. Also acquired the Peñafiel business in Mexico.
- 1980-1989: Duffy-Mott Company, Canada Dry, Sunkist soda licence: acquired by Cadbury Schweppes.
- 1972: Snapple was invented in Brooklyn.
- 1969: Cadbury Schweppes plc: Cadbury and Schweppes merged.
- Apr.18.2018: Pret wrong to call its food natural, watchdog decides. Pret a Manger, one of Britain’s biggest sandwich shop chains has been banned from using “natural” in its advertising because its products contain artificial ingredients. Linkback: Advertising Standards Authority, Sustain. Andrew Ellson, The Times.
- Secretive German family builds global empire. The Reimanns, who are buying Dr Pepper for $19bn, swore an oath to stay out of the limelight. David Charter, The Times, Feb.05.2018.
- What’s hot and what’s not in Coca-Cola’s drinks cabinet. Tabby Kinder, The Times, Sept.01.2018.