Co-operative Group Ltd
The Co-op is one of the world’s largest consumer co-operatives, owned by 4.6m active UK members. The Co-op operates 3,750 outlets, with an annual turnover of over £9bn.
Home to the UK’s leading funeral provider, Co-op Funeralcare conducts almost 100,000 funerals annually across over 1,000 funeral homes. Combined with its leading legal services business, the Co-op is also a national provider of later life products and services ranging from funeral plans, through to wills and probate.
The Co-op holds the Fair Tax Mark, and states that it "does not and will not use tax havens for tax avoidance purposes and we do not use artificial tax avoidance schemes to reduce the Co-op’s tax liabilities".
- CH, regno IP00525R > Mutuals Public Register, Name: "Co-operative Group"
- See also Consumers%27 co-operative § UK
See AR-2018 p.187
- Co-op Food, Co-op Food
- #Co-op Funeralcare, Co-op Funeralcare
- Co-op Insurance, Co-op Insurance
- Co-op Legal Services, Co-op Legal Services
- Co-op Electrical, Co-op Electrical
- Co-operative Estates, Co-operative Estates
- Co-op Travel, Co-op Travel
- Probate, "Simplify Probate" acq'd Apr.2018, integrated
Co-op ups the ante on funeral price war and guarantees to beat. The Co-op guarantees to beat any like-for-like competitor quotes on funeral cost. The Co-op, Sept.10.2018.
History, Funeral Services Ltd t/a Co-op Funeralcare.
- May.2018: Nisa Retail Ltd, a brand and grocery wholesaler supplying 4,000+ convenience shops and small supermarkets, was purchased,ref after the Competition & Markets Authority granted regulatory approval.ref
- 2000: Saverite, a Shopshire-based supermarket formerly known as Morris & Company, was acquired.piclink
- 1933: Co-operative Retail Services: the Co-operative Wholesale Society formed a retail division tasked with taking over failing retail consumer co-operatives, and setting up shop in new areas. During 1957, the division was demerged and renamed.ref CRS used a variety of brands, including Leo's, Market Fresh and Stop & Shop. Leo's pic-link
- 1942: The first self-service shop opened in the country was a co-operative shop. Sainsbury's § Self-service and heyday (1956–1991)
- 1844: The first successful Co-op was the Rochdale Society of Equitable Pioneers.
- 1934: Skelmanthorpe Industrial Co-operative Provident Society was established. Golcar, Meltham and Wooldale Co-ops were also early starters.
- 2005: Midcounties Co-operative Ltd: West Midlands Co-operative Society Ltd merged with Oxford, Swindon and Gloucester Co-operatives.ref,ref,ref, Lpedia , FCA Website
- Jul.2000: Morris & Company Ltd sold its entire Food Division business and assets to West Midlands Co-operative Society Ltd..AR-Apr.2000,ref (Morris Foods + Morris & Co logo in AR-Mar.1998)
- 1979: The last "Morris's" grocery shop was closed, but the number of Saverite stores had expanded.AR-Mar.1979
- Sept.1978: Saverite: the first store was launched on the purchase of a shopping centre in Shrewbury.AR-Apr.1978 piclink
- Morris & Company diversified into the manufacture and distribution of libricants, property management and development, food retailing, and nursing care provision.
- 1869: Morris's, a small grocery business, was founded.