- 1 Banks
- 2 Asset Management
- 2.1 BIM SAS
- 2.2 Carmignac Gestion SA
- 2.3 Edmond de Rothschild
- 2.4 Geode Capital Management LLC
- 2.5 ODDO BHF Asset Management SAS
- 2.6 Power Corporation of Canada
- 2.7 Kiltearn Partners LLP
- 2.8 LSV Asset Management
- 2.9 Magellan Asset Management Ltd
- 2.10 Majedie Asset Management Ltd
- 2.11 Sanderson Asset Management LLP
- 2.12 TCI Fund Management Ltd
- 3 Private Equity
- 4 Investment Management
- 4.1 Listing
- 4.2 Aberforth Partners LLP
- 4.3 AllianceBernstein LP
- 4.4 Brown Brothers Harriman & Co.
- 4.5 Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
- 4.6 Davis Selected Advisors LP
- 4.7 First Pacific Advisors LP
- 4.8 Fisher Investments
- 4.9 Investec
- 4.10 LSV Asset Management
- 4.11 Northern Trust Corporation
- 4.12 Orbis Investment Management Ltd
- 4.13 Parnassus Investments
- 4.14 Principal Financial Services Inc
- 4.15 Banque Pictet & Cie SA
- 4.16 Rathbone Brothers plc
- 4.17 Southeastern Asset Management Inc
- 4.18 Sun Life Financial Inc.
- 4.19 Vanguard Group Inc
- 4.20 Wellington Management Company LLP
- 5 Hedge Funds
- 6 Fund Supermarkets & Investment Services
- 7 Venture Capital
- 8 Platforms
List of Subpages:
Bank of Montreal
- Personal and Commercial Banking;
- Wealth Management;
- BMO Capital Markets offers a range of financial services to corporate, institutional and govt clients. BMO Capital Markets is a trade name used by BMO Financial Group for the wholesale banking businesses of Bank of Montreal, BMO Harris Bank NA, Bank of Montreal Europe plc, and Bank of Montreal (China) Co. Ltd and the institutional broker dealer businesses of BMO Capital Markets Corporation in the US, BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc in Canada and Asia, Bank of Montreal Europe plc in Europe and BMO Capital Markets Ltd in the UK and Australia.ref BMO Capital Markets
- Bank of Montreal, t/a BMO Financial Group in the USA
- BMO Financial Corporation (was Harris Financial Corporation; was Bankmont Financial Corporation).
- BMO Global Asset Management (brand name) comprises:
- BMO Asset Management Inc, aka BMO Asset Management (Canada)
- BMO Investments Inc
- BMO Asset Management Corporation, investment adviser to the BMO Funds. History.arch
- BMO Asset Management Ltd,
- BMO Global Asset Management (Europe) Ltd
- F&C Asset Management plc, and BMO's specialised investment management firms.ref
- BMO Asset Management (Holdings) plc,
- BMO AM Capital (UK) Ltd
- Thames River Capital LLP, , Formed in 1998 by a group of senior investment professionals; became the Funds Business of tF&C Asset Management plc in Sept.2010. F&C Asset Management plc was a listed international asset management company. In 2014, F&C Investments became part of BMO Global Asset Management.ref
USA: investment advisory services are provided by BMO Asset Management Corporation, LGM Investments Ltd, BMO Global Asset Management (Asia) Ltd, Pyrford International Ltd and Taplin Canida & Habacht LLC.
Canada: investment advisory services are provided by BMO Asset Management Inc, BMO Asset Management Corporation, LGM Investments Ltd, BMO Global Asset Management (Asia) Ltd and Pyrford International Ltd.
UK: financial promotions are provided by LGM Investments Ltd, Pyrford International Ltd, and BMO Asset Management Ltd.
Hong Kong: asset management services are provided by BMO Global Asset Management (Asia) Ltd
Svenska Handelsbanken AB
Heartwood Wealth Management Ltd
|Heartwood Investment Management, a specialist multi asset, boutique investment manager, is the asset management arm of Handelsbanken in the UK. The firm manages portfolios for private clients through Handelsbanken Wealth Management and offer its investment management services directly to charities, institutions and individuals through professional intermediaries. Heartwood was established in 1988, and acquired by Swedish bank Handelsbanken in 2013. ref Website|
Carmignac Gestion SA
The French public prosecutor investigated the firm for tax fraud and laundering tax fraud; it cost €30m to settle the allegations.ref Website.ch, Website.com
Edmond de Rothschild
Private banking is the group's core business, offering a wide range of bespoke solutions aimed at private clients and entrepreneurs.refref
Asset Management is the second strategic pillar of Edmond de Rothschild Group's activities. Financial services are offered through management mandates available in 14 countries.refref
The group also provides high-value added services in funds administration and asset servicing (funds structuring, management operations, central administration, custodian banking, domiciliation, private equity and real estate).ref
- Edmond de Rothschild Holding SA, parent holdco of the financial group controlled by Benjamin de Rothschild, of the Rothschild family, holds:ref
Edmond de Rothschild Asset Management
Geode Capital Management LLC
ODDO BHF Asset Management SAS
- Oddo BHF SCA, oddo-bhf.com
- ODDO BHF AG,
- ODDO BHF Asset Management SAS
- ODDO BHF Asset Management GmbH
Power Corporation of Canada
Since 2002, Power Corporation has been developing its own investment platforms, the Sagard Investment Funds, which operate in three geographic areas: Sagard Europe, Sagard Holdings (Montréal, Toronto, New York, Paris, and Singapore), and Sagard China. Power Corporation of Canada, Group Holdings, Organisational chart, Website
- Power Corporation of Canada
- 64.1%: Power Financial Corporation, Website
- 66.0%: IGM Financial Inc, Website
- IG Investment Management Ltd
- Mackenzie Financial Corporation
- Investment Planning Counsel Inc
- IG Investment Management Ltd
- 55.5%: Parjointco NV, ref, ref
IGM Financial Inc
IG Investment Management Ltd
Mackenzie Financial Corporation
Putnam Investments LLC
Groupe Bruxelles Lambert SA
Kiltearn Partners LLP
LSV Asset Management
Magellan Asset Management Ltd
Majedie Asset Management Ltd
Sanderson Asset Management LLP
TCI Fund Management Ltd
- The Children's Investment Master Fund, reg. Cayman Islands,
- The Children's Investment Fund Management (Cayman) Ltd, reg. Cayman Islands
- TCI Fund Holdings Ltd, OC
- TCI Fund Management (UK) Ltd, was The Children's Investment Fund Management Ltd, OC
- TCI Fund Management Ltd, investment manager, OC
- TCI Advisory Services LLP, advises TCI Fund Management Ltd, was Children’s Investment Fund Management (UK) LLP, OC
- TCI Fund Services (UK) Ltd, OC
- TCI Fund Management (UK) Ltd, was The Children's Investment Fund Management Ltd, OC
- TCI Fund Holdings Ltd, OC
Private equity firms make money primarily from management and performance fees. A hefty percentage of the profits gained on sale of a company are usually charged. Read more at Investopedia.
Charterhouse Capital Partners LLP
- 2014: SkillSoft, an Irish provider of cloud-based technology services to govts, businesses, and schools, was acquired. skillsoft.com
- Feb.2012: Watling Street Capital Partners LLP bought a 91% stake in Charterhouse Development Capital Ltd, the managing member of Charterhouse’s parent company, Charterhouse Capital Partners LLP.
- Jun.2007-Jul.2013: Times Higher Education, higher education analysis, acquired from Exponent Private Equity LLP.
In Jul.2013, THE was sold on to TPG Capital LP.
- Jun.2001: the firm's management completed an MBO from HSBC Holdings plc to become a partner-owned independent investment firm.
- Jul.2000: Crédit Commercial de France SA, a French commercial bank, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of HSBC Holdings plc. In Nov.2005, renamed as "HSBC France".
- ... ...
- 1976: Charterhouse Development Capital Fund, which focused on UK private equity investments, raised 3rd-party capital for the first time.
- 1934: Founded.
Forte Capital Advisors LLC
Inflexion Private Equity Partners LLP
- Feb.2019-: Times Higher Education, higher education analysis, acquired from TPG Capital. tsleducation.com, timeshighereducation.com
Pass-the-PE-Parcel: News International Ltd (??-Oct.2005) → Exponent Private Equity LLP (Oct.2005) → Charterhouse Capital Partners LLP (Jun.2007) → TPG Capital LP (Jul.2013), renamed as "TES Global Ltd", with Times Higher Education being carved out as a stand-alone business for serving up separately; TES Global Ltd → Providence Equity Partners LLC (Dec.2018) && Times Higher Education → Inflexion Private Equity Partners LLP (Feb.2019). Founded in 1910 as a newspaper publication for UK school teachers, TES grew a digital footprint with ~11.6m educators . Under TPG Capital, TES Global Ltd acquired a handful of education technology startups and services, including Blendspace (Jul.2014), Unijobs (Apr.2015), Hibernia College UK (Jun.2015), EduKey (Mar.2016). tes.com, tesglobal.com
- Oct.2009-May.2014: National Accident Helpline, personal injury company providing personal injury claims advice, service and support to consumers who have suffered a no-fault accident, floated as "NAHL Group plc". , , , national-accident-helpline.co.uk
- Mar.2008-Feb.2013: PIMS Group Ltd, wastewater services, 4 bolt-ons (Comet Tankers, Hydroserve, Forewood, ABS); sold to USA firm Xylem Inc. ,
- Jul.2007-Sept.2016: Jack Wills, fashion brand; 27% shareholding bought out by BlueGem Capital Partners LLP § Jack Wills.
PAI Partners SAS
- 2002: PAI partners SAS: PAI’s partners completed a management buyout of Paribas's fund management company.
- 2000: Paribas merged with Banque Nationale de Paris.
- 1998: PAI raised its first 3rd-party private equity fund, the PAI LBO Fund.
- 1993: PAI refocused on principal investment activities and starts buyout investments.
- 1872: Paribas Affaires Industrielles: Paribas Merchant Bank launched an investment business, which financed and supported the growth of large industrial French groups.
Partners Group AG
- 49.5% Private equity;
- 21.1% Real estate;
- 16.9% Infrastructure;
- 12.5% Debt.
The group was founded in Switzerland in 1996, and was floated on the SIX Swiss Exchange in Mar.2006. It makes frequent and shameless use of offshore tax havensthrough which its financial flows are directed, such as the Cayman Islands, Liechtenstein, Guernsey, Luxembourg and Switzerland. AR-2018, p.148
- 10.0% Alfred Gantner, Partner & Co-Founder
- 10.0% Urs Wietlisbach, Partner & Co-Founder
- 10.0% Marcel Erni, Partner & Co-Founder
- 2.99% Allianz Global Investors GmbH
- 2.02% Christoph Rubeli, ex-CEO
- 1.85% Vanguard Group Inc
- 1.70% BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Ltd
- 1.67% UBS Asset Management Switzerland AG
- 1.61% Norges Bank Investment Management
- 1.52% Zürcher Kantonalbank
See also Acquisition History, 2009-present, The Private Equity Firm That Quietly Profits on Top-Selling Drugs, and WP mentions.
RP Management LLC operates as a private equity firm, specialises in advising on investments in royalty interests in marketed and late stage developmental biopharmaceutical products. , ref, ref, ref, ref
Royalty Pharma has created a rapidly growing company within the biopharmaceutical industry through the acquisition of revenue producing intellectual property – principally, royalty interests in marketed and late stage development biopharmaceutical products. Royalty Pharma does not discover, develop, manufacture or market products. Instead, it provides liquidity to royalty owners and assumes the future risks and rewards of ownership. Royalty Pharma has been working with research institutions, inventors and biotechnology & pharmaceutical companies since 1996, and now owns royalty interests in forty four approved and marketed biopharmaceutical products and seven products in clinical trials and/or under review with the United States Food and Drug Administration and/or the European Medicines Agency. (Crunchbase)
Royalty Pharma, a Swiss biotech company which buys the rights to drugs under development and receives royalties on subsequent sales, has pulled its flotation for the second time amid concern over falling pharmaceutical and biotech stock prices. Jun.2002. ref
Aberforth Partners LLP
In 2015, AllianceBernstein became known as "AB". In Oct.2000, Alliance Capital acquired Sanford C Bernstein to form AllianceBernstein. In 1971, Alliance Capital was created when the investment-management department of Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette Inc merged with Moody’s Investors Service Inc's investment advisory business. Sanford C Bernstein was founded in 1967 as a private securities firm.ref
Brown Brothers Harriman & Co.
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
Davis Selected Advisors LP
First Pacific Advisors LP
- Oct.2006: First Pacific Advisors LLC: Resolute changed its name.ref
- Sept.2006: Resolute LLC was formed by 8 management members to purchase FPA from Old Mutual plc/Old Mutual (US) Holdings,ref making FPA independently owned for the first time.ref
- Jul.2004: First Pacific Advisors LLC: the business reorganised and named itself.
- 2000: United Asset Managers was acquired by South African-headquartered Old Mutual plc/Old Mutual (US) Holdings Inc.
- Jun.1991: The business was sold to United Asset Managers. (Angeles filed for bankruptcy in 1993, after the 1990 recession.)ref
- 1953: Founded as the investment arm of the Angeles Corporation.ref
Fisher Asset Management LLC does business under this name in Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. In all other provinces, it trades as Fisher Investments Canada and Fisher Investments.ref The firm is active in the USA and the UK, where it operates through subsidiary Fisher Investments Europe Ltd, t/a Fisher Investments UK. Investment management services are provided by Fisher Investments UK’s parent company, Fisher Asset Management LLC. In Germany, it does business through its joint-venture affiliate, Grüner Fisher Investments GmbH.ref
Fisher Asset Management was founded by Ken Fisher in Jan.1979 as a sole proprietorship, and incorporated as "Fisher Investments Inc" in 1986. Fisher Asset Management LLC was reorganised as a Delaware limited liability company in 2005..ref,ref The firm's holdco is Fisher Investments Inc.
Investec Asset Management Ltd
- Investec Asset Management Ltd B'berg
Investec Wealth & Investment Ltd
LSV Asset Management
Northern Trust Corporation
Northern Trust Investments Inc (NTI), a fee-based financial advisor, is the USA-based arm of Northern Trust Asset Management, the group's investment manager. NTI is based in Chicago, Illinois, with offices throughout the world. NTI's bread and butter are wealth and asset management, plus it also operates its own proprietary mutual funds and exchange-traded funds.ref Northern Trust Investments Inc
Northern Trust Asset Management is composed of: Northern Trust Investments Inc, Northern Trust Global Investments Ltd, Northern Trust Fund Managers (Ireland) Ltd, Northern Trust Global Investments Japan KK, NT Global Advisors Inc, 50 South Capital Advisors LLC, and investment personnel of The Northern Trust Company of Hong Kong Ltd and The Northern Trust Company. ref
Orbis Investment Management Ltd
Principal Financial Services Inc
Principal Financial Services is an American multinational financial investment management and insurance company. The group operates through 4 segments:
- 50.3%: Retirement and Income Solutions: pension fund management;
- 28.2%: US Insurance Solutions: life and non life insurance.
- 12%: Principal Global Investors: asset management;
- 9.5%: Principal International: international activities;
Principal Global Investors LLC
- Principal Global Investors manages assets for sophisticated investors around the world using a multi-boutique strategy that provides diverse investment capabilities including equity, fixed income, real estate and other alternative investments.ref,p.8
- CIMB-Principal Islamic Asset Management Sdn Bhd;
- Columbus Circle Investors;
- Edge Asset Management Inc History, Website
- Finisterre Capital LLP;
- Morley Financial Services Inc / Morley Capital Management Inc;
- Origin Asset Management LLP;
- Post Advisory Group LLC;
- Principal Enterprise Capital LLC;
- Principal Global Equities;
- Principal Global Fixed Income;
- Principal Global Investors (Europe) Ltd;
- Principal Global Investors (Singapore) Ltd;
- Principal Global Investors (Australia) Ltd;
- Principal Global Investors (Japan) Ltd;
- Principal Global Investors (Hong Kong) Ltd;
- Principal Real Estate Europe Ltd;
- Principal Real Estate Investors LLC is the dedicated real estate arm of Principal Global Investors. ref;
- Spectrum Asset Management Inc;
- Majority-owned affiliates.
Banque Pictet & Cie SA
Pictet operates under a partnership of 7 ownership holding managers, with 26 offices in leading financial centres around the world. The company invests most heavily in the consumer discretionary sector, which alone makes up over 25% of its total asset allocations, and also in the finance, health care, information technology, industrials, and consumer staples sectors, among other sectors to a lesser degree.ref Reports, History
Pictet Asset Management SA
Rathbone Brothers plc
Subsidiaries include Rathbone Investment Management Ltd, Rathbone Investment Management International Ltd, Rathbone Trust Company Ltd, Rathbone Unit Trust Management Ltd and Rathbone Pension & Advisory Services Ltd, inter alia.ref
Southeastern Asset Management Inc
Sun Life Financial Inc.
MFS Investment Management
Sun Life Investment Management
Vanguard Group Inc
Founder John C Bogle launched the "Vanguard Experiment" as he wanted to find ways to cut administrative costs in the mutual fund industry; as a result, Vanguard's model is unlike that of other mutual funds. Instead of being controlled by an external management company, Vanguard is owned by its shareholders, and its funds are independent investment companies that in turn own the Vanguard Group; this lowers the funds' operating expenses by cutting middleman fees, and Vanguard further lowers the bottom line by spending very little on marketing.ref
Wellington Management Company LLP
- Venture Capital Industries: Healthcare devices and supplies, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology
Hedge funds are alternative investments using pooled funds that employ different strategies to earn a return for their investors. Hedge funds may be aggressively managed or make use of derivatives and leverage in markets (known as betting to you and I). Hedge funds are generally only accessible to accredited investors as they face less regulation than mutual funds and other investment vehicles.ref
An excellent read on how hedge funds came about: "More Money Than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite" by Sebastian Mallaby, May.2011.
Alden Global Capital LLC
Tax Haven: Alden funds include several Cayman Island-based funds and another profiting from Greek debt stemming from that country’s financial crisis.ref
- Feb.05.2020: The Hedge Fund Vampire That Bleeds Newspapers Dry Now Has The Chicago Tribune By The Throat. Among the various financial players that are now pulling levers in the newspaper space, Alden Global Capital LLC holds the distinction of being the most repugnant. Heath Freeman, Alden Global Capital LLC's president, has been called “the hedge fund asshole who is destroying journalism.”
Once upon a time, newspaper chains were predominantly owned by wealthy and powerful families. As the internet took off in the late ’90s, publishers began feeling the heat from digital ad disruption and new online competitors. The Great Recession in 2009 obliterated nearly 20% of daily advertising revenue. The world's vultures came along and took advantage of the situation. Joe Pompeo, Vanity Fair.
- ~Jun.12.2018: Who Profits From Alden Global Capital? You'd be surprised. Most of Alden's investors remain a mystery, but one known investor is the Randall and Barbara Smith Foundation, named for Alden founder Randall Smith and his wife. In the past, the California Public Employees Retirement System, a few European banks, Citigroup and Coca-Cola Company's pension funds, along with charities such as the Circle of Service Foundation and the Alfred University Endowment Fund. The John S and James L Knight Foundation... many Alden/DFM papers were previously part of the Knight-Ridder family news empire from which the foundation sprang (disinvested in 2014). See also Everything you need to know about Alden Global Capital and Digital First Media. Julie Reynolds, NewsMatters, a NewsGuild Project for Digital First Media Workers.
- Mar.26.2018: Imagine If Gordon Gekko Bought News Empires. The reality is even worse: This raider sinks decimated newsrooms' revenue into bad investments. In 2007, vulture investor Randall Smith started Alden Global Capital LLC, installing Heath Freeman as president. The firm and Freeman have since become notorious as a destroyer of newspapers. What is Freeman doing with the cash? Siphoning it into some of his hedge fund's poorly-performing investments. Without the ability to bleed his papers dry, one has to wonder whether Freeman would even have a hedge fund at this point. Joe Nocera, Bloomberg Opinion.
- Aug.08.2013: Beyond the Hedges: Another house snapped up in buying spree. With an expansive pool and entertaining pavilion, 124 Cocoanut Row is the latest of seven Palm Beach properties to be bought by entities linked to Barbara and Randall Smith of Palm Beach and New York. Darren Hofheinz, Palm Beach Daily News. Original archived on May.01.2020.
Coast Capital Management LP
Kensico Capital Management Corporation
Lone Pine Capital LLC
Millennium Management LLC
NNS Holding Sàrl
- NNS Holding Sàrl, Nassef Sawiris's investment vehicle
Sculptor Capital Management Inc
The firm was founded in 1994 by Daniel Och (ex-Goldman Sachs), with financial support from the Ziff family, founders of American publisher and Internet company Ziff Davis Media,ref in exchange for a 10% stake.ref The Ziff brothers managed the family's investments through Ziff Brothers Investments, but closed the operation down in 2014.ref The firm was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 2007.
Due to a bribery scandal in Africa,ref announced in 2014, the firm's stock price fell dramatically at over 80% since the peak. In late 2016, subsidiary OZ Africa,ref pled guilty to bribery charges. Investors began pulling their money - nearly $7bn in the first four months of 2017, which sent the firm's AUM and stock price into a downward spiral.ref As part of a deferred prosecution agreement, the firm agreed to pay a $413m fine, with OZ Africa also pleading guilty to conspiracy.ref,ref To make matters worse, OZ Management admitted to providing inaccurate trade data to four of its prime brokers between Jan.2008-Dec.2013.ref
In Mar.2019, founder and Chairman Dan Och stepped down and, in Sept.2019, the firm rebranded as Sculptor Capital Management.ref
Starboard Value LP
West Face Capital Inc
Fund Supermarkets & Investment Services