Standard Life Aberdeen plc
Standard Life Aberdeen is a publicly-traded investment company headquartered in Edinburgh, with worldwide operations. Standard Life Aberdeen was formed in Aug.2017, when investment company Aberdeen Asset Management plc merged with Standard Life plc.
Standard Life Aberdeen plc is a UK-based global investment company. The company operates through 4 segments:
- Aberdeen Standard Investments: The Aberdeen Standard Investments segment provides a range of investment products for individuals and institutional customers through various investment vehicles.
- Pensions and Savings: The Pensions and Savings provide a range of long-term savings and investment products to individual and corporate customers in the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria and Ireland.
- India and China: The businesses included in India and China offer a range of insurance and savings products and comprise its life insurance associate in India, its life insurance joint venture in China, and operations in Hong Kong.
- Other: primarily corporate center and related activities.
- 3.48% Vanguard Group Inc
- 3.10% M&G plc § M&G Investment Management Ltd
- 2.66% BlackRock Fund Advisors
- 2.36% Legal & General Investment Management Ltd
- 1.95% Jupiter Asset Management Ltd
- 1.89% Fidelity Management & Research Company
- 1.57% BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Ltd
- 1.55% Hargreaves Lansdown Stockbrokers Ltd
- 1.48% Cathay Life Insurance Company Ltd
- 1.47% Artemis Investment Management LLP
UP = Standard Life Aberdeen plc, [CH], reg. Scotland
- Aberdeen Asset Mmanagement plc, CH
- Standard Life Investments (Holdings) Ltd, CH
- Standard Life Investments Ltd, CH
These guys are stuffed with offshore funds.
Aberdeen Standard Investments
In the USA, "Aberdeen Standard Investments" is the marketing name for the following investment advisers:
- Aberdeen Standard Investments Inc
- Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd
- Aberdeen Standard Investments Australia Ltd
- Aberdeen Standard Investments (Asia) Ltd
- Aberdeen Capital Management LLC
- Aberdeen Standard Investments ETFs Advisors LLC
- Standard Life Investments (Corporate Funds) Ltd.
Standard Life Investments Ltd
Aberdeen Asset Management plc
- Jul.2012: Vebnet, a software and services provider, was acquired. The firm specialises in software for employee benefit schemes.ref,ref
- Mar.2018: Standard Life's financial planning and advice business "1825" acquired the wealth management arm of BDO Northern Ireland. ref
- Feb.2018: Insurance Business: Standard Life announced its intention to sell its insurance operationss to Phoenix Group Holdings plc, marking the final step away from its insurance roots to asset management.ref more gory details here
- Aug.2017: Standard Life Aberdeen plc was formed by the merger of Aberdeen Asset Management plc with Standard Life plc.
- May.2017: AXA Elevate: Standard Life acquired the loss-making AXA Portfolio Services, which owned AXA Elevate, AXA's investment platform.ref
- May.2015: 1825: Standard Life purchased Pearson Jones, a firm of financial advisers, from Skipton Building Society. The business was renamed as "1825".ref
- Mar.2014: Canada: Standard Life agreed to sell its Canadian operations to The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Manulife Financial Corporation.ref
- Mar.2014: Ignis Asset Managemement: Standard Life Investments, the group's asset management arm, bought Ignis from Phoenix Group Holdings plc. The acquisition made Standard Life Investments into one of the UK's biggest investment managers.ref
- Feb.2013: Newton Management Ltd's private client division was acquired. Newton is a UK wealth management unit of BNY Mellon.ref
- Dec.2010: Focus Solutions Group, a financial software and consultancy business, was acquired.ref,ref
- May.2010: Standard Life Healthcare, Standard Life's private medical insurance arm, was sold to South African group Discovery Holdings†. ref
- Mar.2010:ThreeSixty: acquired the remaining 75% stake was acquired.ref
- Jan.2010: Standard Life Bank plc, the group's banking arm, was sold to Barclays plc. ref
- 2007: ThreeSixty: Standard life acquired a 25% stake in the financial advisory support business.ref
- Sept.2006: Demutualisation (reluctantly) took place, and the company was floated on the London Stock Exchange.ref
- 1925: Standard Life Assurance Company: the firm was reincorporated as a mutual assurance company.ref
- 1825: The Insurance Company of Scotland was founded in Edinburgh.
- Feb.24.2018: Standard Life Aberdeen sells its insurance business for £3.2bn. The transformation of Standard Life Aberdeen into a pure investment management business accelerated yesterday when it confirmed the £3.2bn sale of its insurance division to a smaller rival, Phoenix Group. "This completes our transformation from a capital-heavy insurance business," Keith Skeoch, co-chief executive, said. The latest accounts revealed that Mr Skeoch earned £3m last year, consisting of a £1m annual bonus, a £1.15m long-term incentive award and £700,000 in salary. Martin Gilbert, the other co-chief executive, earned £1.32m, but that excludes his pay before the merger. Standard Life Aberdeen confirmed that Gerry Grimstone would step down as its chairman next year. Harry Wilson, The Times.