- Andrea Leadsom
- Member of the Privy Council
- ERG member.
Jul.2018 “What’s been agreed is the end of [transition in] Dec.2020. It’s what has been agreed with the EU. I think it should be long enough.”
Jul.2016 “I intend to keep the negotiations as short as possible. Neither we nor our European friends need prolonged uncertainty.” What they said then and what they’re saying now, The Times, Oliver Wright, Nov.16.2018.
- Apr.22.2018: Amber Rudd faces red light on road to No 10 unless she steers out of Theresa May’s shadow. Andrea Leadsom is one cabinet fundamentalist who is incandescent that the Windrush debacle has created yet another potential Brexit hitch, this time involving EU citizens remaining here. They want an immigration bill now to stop it becoming subject to further negotiation with Brussels. Adam Boulton, The Times.
- Jul.22.2017: Key poll which boosted Leadsom’s leadership bid funded by DUP’s dark-money donors . An important poll which added momentum to Andrea Leadsom’s campaign to become prime minister was funded by the secretive Constitutional Research Council. The funding of the carefully-timed survey is one of only 3 known occasions that the mysterious Constitutional Research Council has been used to channel money into British politics – as well as the DUP donation, £6,500 was given to the MP and now Brexit minister Steve Baker, to pay for a meeting of the pro-Brexit MPs’ European Research Group, which he chaired. Baker was a key member of Andrea Leadsom’s campaign team, and sat on the board of directors of "Leadsom4Leader". The poll, which was conducted by Survation, was released on the day that Conservative MPs conducted their ‘first ballot’. The publication of the poll was particularly damaging for Michael Gove, Leadsom’s key challenger. When the Telegraph published its findings the next day, its headline claimed that “Four in 10 Tory supporters will not vote Conservative at GE-2020 if Michael Gove becomes leader”, and the article quoted two MPs, both of whom were supporters of Andrea Leadsom: Andrew Bridgen, and another “who asked not to be named”. Steve Goodrich from Transparency International said: "Transparency is essential to preventing outside or undue influence over our democratic process. There are clear rules on what should be made a matter of public record and what the consequences are when these aren't followed. Knowing who funds leadership bids is of heightened public interest, so it's essential that all contestants ensure they disclose any support they receive in compliance with the law". Adam Ramsay, Peter Geoghegan, openDemocracy.
- Jul.08.2016: Andrea Leadsom has one Twitter list. It is called Andrea Leadsom & it has one member: Andrea Leadsom. @LadyHaja, Twitter.
- Oct.30.2017.10.30: Leadsom: Sex Harassers Will Be Sacked And Lose Whip. Guido Fawkes, Order Order.
- Oct.02.2017: Iain Dale’s 100 most influential people on the Right 2017. Leader of the House. Andrea Leadsom may have dropped down this list but she is not to be underestimated. In normal times being appointed Leader of the House would be seen as a promotion from DEFRA, but the job now only entitles Leadsom to ‘attend cabinet’ rather than be a full member of it. She is said to have displeased No.10 with some media freelancing, but she is someone who should be used more. Iain Dale, Conservative Home.
- Jul.14.2016: New Environment Secretary backs fox hunting, selling off forests, and opposes climate change measures. Theresa May’s new Environment Secretary backs fox hunting, supported selling off Britain’s forest, and has generally opposed measures to halt climate change, her record shows. Jon Stone, The Independent.
- Jul.02.2016: Hypocrite! Tory leadership hopeful and Vote Leave campaigner Andrea Leadsom previously said 'Brexit would be a disaster'. Tory leadership candidate Andrea Leadsom has been dubbed a hypocrite. Vote Leave campaigner previously said leaving EU would be a 'disaster'. However she made repeated calls for Brexit in the run up to the referendum. Simon Walters, The Daily Mail Online.
- Jun.02.2016: Government could ditch pledge to shut all coal-fired power stations by 2025. Ministers considering allowing coal-fired power stations to continue to operate despite pledge. Ms Leadsom "encouraged" the coal companies to take part in the consultation process to help retrospectively define what Ms Rudd had actually meant. Minutes of the meeting show she encouraged the industry to engage in the solutation, eg. "What is 'unabated coal'? Burning coal in the UK was responsible for 82.5m tons of carbon dioxide emissions in 2015, about 20% of the total figure for the country of 404.7m tons. Ian Johnstone, The Independent.
- May.11.2010: General Election 2010: bankers become MPs in new Parliament Andrea Leadsom, financial institutions director at Barclays before joining Invesco Perpetual. Louise Aritstead, The Telegraph.
- 6th Annual Meeting of the Coal Forum. Annual Coal Industry Meeting, Archived, Feb.10.2016