- Gerard Lyons
- DDG search
Gerard Lyons is a British economist and writer. He is an expert on the world economy, global financial markets and on economic and regulatory policy, focusing on international banking. (WP)
Politics: Dr Gerard Lyons is a strong and enthusiastic supporter of Brexit, and insists that a "Hard Brexit" should really be considered a "Clean Brexit": the UK's membership of the EU is "from an economic and financial perspective not a fortress, but more like a prison. And this is our opportunity to escape".
Media: He has been a frequent speaker at the Legatum Institute. He is a contributor to the pro-Brexit lobby group Brexit Central, the Spectator, Policy Exchange, the Centre for Policy Studies, the Centre for Social Justice and Politeia.
Publications: His eBook, "The UK Referendum: An Easy Guide to Leaving the EU" (Mar.2016) was criticised by Prospect as being "almost childish in its optimism", and "contained errors of judgement — and of fact". Other publications include "The Europe Report: a Win-Win Situation" (2014); "The Global Powerhouse" (2016); "The Consolations of Economics, (2015); co-wrote "Clean Brexit" with Liam Halligan, published by Policy Exchange.
- ??- Advisory group member at Vivid Economics.
- Mar.2017- Senior Adviser at Pagefield Communications (lobbying firm).
- May.2016- Macro-economic Adviser at Netwealth Investments. Senior Economic Advisor to Parker Fitzgerald (financial consultants), Senior Advisor to DealGlobe.
- ~2014- Economic adviser at Policy Exchange (neoconservative oriented think-tank).
- Apr.2016 Co-founded Economists for Brexit, now morphed into Economists for Free Trade.
- ?? Board member of TheCityUK (lobby group for the financial sector), representing City Hall. Recently stepped down (when?).
- ?? Advisory Council member of Open Europe (pro-reform think tank).
- ?date- Business Council of Politeia (free-market right-of-centre think tank)
- 2009-? Vice-Chair of the 48 Group Club (focuses on boosting UK-China business ties)
- Jan.2013-May.2016 Chief Economic Advisor to Boris Johnson, Mayor of London; advised The Mayor on economic and financial issues facing London, in exchange for less than 30 hrs per week and a salary of £127,200.
- 2000-2004 Member of the No Campaign that opposed joining the Euro. Adviser to Patrick Minford's Euro Know campaign.
- Jun.1999-Nov.2012 Joined Standard Chartered Bank; went on to become Chief Economist, Group Head of Global Research, and Economic Advisor to the Board.
- ??-May.1999 Chief Economist at DKB International plc (currently Mizuho International).
- date? Chief UK Economist at Swiss Bank Corporation.
- date? Chief UK economist at Savory Milln (stockbroker).
- 1985-? Economist at Chase Manhattan Bank.
- The World This Weekend. BBC Radio 4, Jul.01.2018.
- Gerard Lyons’s “Guide to leaving the EU” is almost childish in its optimism. George Magnus, Prospect Magazine, Apr.22.2-16.
- The Economy After Brexit. Economists after Brexit, (archive.org)', Economists for Brexit, May.01.2016.
- Our Advisory Group. Vivid Economics. Accessed Aug.10.2018.
- Pagefield signs up ex-Boris adviser. Rod Muir, Public Affairs News, Mar.28.2017.
- Gerard Lyons among City titans behind new ‘robot’ advisor to the rich. Kate Palmer, The Telegraph, May.21.2016.
- Our People: Dr Gerard Lyons Parker Fitzgerald. Accessed Aug.10.2018.
- Gerard Lyons, Chief Economic Adviser. Policy Exchange. Accessed Aug.10.2018.
- Gerard Lyons (past staff) - Register of interests. London Assembly, Sept.30.2015.
- Boris Johnson appoints Gerard Lyons as his chief economic adviser. Helene Mulholland, The Guardian, Dec.11.2012.