MP for Liverpool Riverside
In office: May.1997 — present;
|Louise Ellman has been MP for Liverpool Riverside since 1997. In the GE-2017, she once again retained her seat, with 84.5% of the vote.|
Committees and APPGs
As at Feb.2018
Party website: Labour.org.uk
Wikipedia: Louise Ellman
Louise Joyce Ellman is a Labour & Co-operative politician, and has been the Member of Parliament for Liverpool Riverside since 1997. Ellman was born in Manchester to a British Jewish family. She is a Zionist, and is probably Israel's staunchest supporter in the House of Commons.
As a member of the APPG on Human Trafficking, Louise has played a role in successfully promoting the Modern Slavery Bill. She has campaigned on issues such as poverty, the Bedroom tax, cuts to public services and the NHS. She has also expressed her support for devolution to cities and regeneration of the regions, Antisemitism Policy Trust. Ellman's role as the chair of the Commons Transport Select Committee has seen her resolutely campaign for a 3rd runway at Heathrow Airport.
In 1995, Louise was a Member of the Regional Policy Commission set up by John Prescott to identify strategies to tackle regional unemployment and economic decline. She went on to become the Chair of the Parliamentary Labour Party's Regional Government Group.
|May.2017||Re-elected as MP for Liverpool Riverside with 84.5% of the vote.|
|May.2015||Re-elected as MP for Liverpool Riverside with 67.4% of the vote.|
Member of the APPG on Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery.
|2011–||Vice-President, Local Government Association|
|May.2010||Re-elected as MP for Liverpool Riverside.|
Member of the Associate Parliamentary Health Group
|May.2010–May.2017||Member of the HoC National Policy Statements Sub-Committee|
|May.2008–May.2017||Member of the HoC Liaison Committee.|
Vice Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Liverpool City Council's Capital of Culture.
|May.2005||Re-elected as MP for Liverpool Riverside.|
|Jul.2002–May.2017||Member of the HoC Transport Committee; became Chair in May.2008.|
|Jul.2001–Jul.2002||Member of the HoC Urban Affairs Sub-Committee;|
Member of the HoC Transport, Local Government & The Regions
Member of the HoC Transport Sub-committee
|May.2001||Re-elected as MP for Liverpool Riverside.|
|1997–2001||Member of the HoC Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs Select Committee|
|Jul.1997–Jun.2001||Member of the HoC Environment Sub-committee (Environment, Transport and Regional Affairs))|
|May.1997||First elected as MP for Liverpool Riverside.|
|1994–1997||Member of the North West Partnership |
|1991–1993||Founder and Chair of the North West Regional Association |
|1989–May.1997||Chair of Lancashire's Environment Forum.|
|1982–1997||Founding Vice-Chair of Lancashire Enterprises, Lancashire County Council’s economic development agency.|
|1981–1997||Leader of Lancashire County Council. Played an active role in improving Lancashire’s economic prosperity.|
|May.1979||Contested the Darwen constituency at GE-1979; was defeated by the sitting Conservative MP Charles Fletcher-Cooke.|
|1977||Labour group leader of Lancashire County Council.|
|1974–1987||Councillor, West Lancashire District Council.|
|1970–1997||Elected as a Councillor to Lancashire County Council, to represent Skelmersdale.|
Honours & Accreditations
- Awarded Honorary Fellowship of Liverpool John Moores University (Jul.2016)
- Declared an Honorary Alderman of Lancashire, an honour bestowed by the county to recognise significant contributions of past councillors (1997)
- Patron and Honorary Vice President of the Royal Court Trust
- Council Director, the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts
- Council Director of The Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts (LIPA)
- Vice President of the Jewish Leadership Council, https://www.thejlc.org/, https://www.thejlc.org/vice_presidents
- Vice-Chair of Labour Friends of Israel: https://zoompad.blogspot.de/2010/03/labour-friends-of-israel.html
- Chair of the Jewish Labour Movement, (2005–Feb.2016), http://www.jlm.org.uk/
- Vice Chair of Labour Friends of Israel, (lobby group) http://www.lfi.org.uk/
- Council member of the Holocaust Educational Trust, (2010), http://www.het.org.uk/content.php?page_id=6
- Board member of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, (2010), http://www.hmd.org.uk/about/who-we-are
- Member of the Board of Deputies of British Jews
Controversies & Conflicts
Israel declares itself to be the State of all Jews, not just those living in Israel; that's why Israel doesn't have an Israeli nationality – the Jewish nation is the State of Israel. It follows that Jews cannot be "dual nationals"; the very idea is anti-Semitic. Zionists believe that in the event of a conflict between the state they live in and Israel, Jews owe their first loyalty to Israel. It is clear that Mrs Ellman, a sincere and devoted Zionist, does indeed feel a deep loyalty to the "Jewish State". It is therefore quite reasonable to call her "the MP for Tel Aviv", in just the same way as people called John Carlisle and Julian Amery "MPs for South Africa". There is nothing racist about this, it is just an indication of where her political loyalty lies.
Riverside is frequently cited as the most fractious constituency on Merseyside, with some members complaining that they are put off by the divisive nature of Constituency Labour Party (CLP) meetings; while others blame Louise Ellman, saying she is out of step with members' views. Mrs Ellman contends that there has been a post GE-2015 influx of "a number of individuals committed to creating dissent and conflict", who are "more interested in destroying than building". It has all happened since Jeremy Corbyn became leader, and they are all supporters of him. Mrs Ellman makes it clear that she does not think Corbyn "is credible". Louise Ellman has urged her party to suspend the group, who are said to have been making plans to oust her from her seat. Activists drew up a plan to eventually ensure Ellman, who has criticised Jeremy Corbyn's leadership, was deselected as a Labour candidate. The local Labour branch was "restructured" by the NEC in a completely undemocratic way.
A motion calling for proscription of the Hezebollah group was introduced by Jim Shannon (DUP MP), Joan Ryan (Labour Friends of Israel chair), and Louise Ellman MP (LFI Vice-Chair), with support from Labour backbenches and pro-Israel groups. Labour leaders asked their MPs not to support the motion, becaue full proscription would move against meaningful peace negotiations in the Middle East. Nevertheless, Ellman said that "the evidence that Hezbollah engages in terrorism and engenders hate is overwhelming", adding that "Hezbollah specifically promotes anti-Semitism."
Louise Ellman is a rabid Zionist. She frequently appears on TV warning of Labour's problem with "anti-Semitism", without offering a shred of evidence. In 2009, while the Gaza Strip was being destroyed by the Israeli Wehrmacht, she said at a pro-Israel rally: “We should stand together to stick up for Israel". She said "nobody is entirely innocent" in Gaza, not even children. A rabid warmonger, Ellman voted "very strongly for" the Iraq War, "very strongly against" an investigation into that war, and "very strongly for" renewal of Trident, Britain's nuclear weapons programme.
Amnesty International Campaigns Manager Kristyan Benedict tweeted "Louise Ellman, Robert Halfon and Luciana Berger walk into a bar... each orders a round of B52s". He was jokingly referring to the three pro-Israel MPs and their unblinking support for Israel. The pro-Israel lobby - particularly the Community Security Trust - immediately leapt into action, accusing Benedict of anti-Semitism, racism, and so on. Benedict was referring to matters such as: Ellman's claim on the BBC that Hamas used children as suicide bombers was at the center of a complaint upheld by the Broadcasting Standards watchdog, in 2011. Ellman urged crowds at a rally in Jan.2009 to "stand together to stick up for Israel" as Gaza was being devastated. The British Jewish Telegraph praises Ellman as "never scared to... fight for Israel... at every Parliamentary opportunity". Halfon has been called the the Conservative "counterpart" to Ellman. Berger was described by the Jerusalem Post as "an active supporter of Israel".
- Aug.01.2018: Labour Friends of Israel MP Louis Ellman Caught Lying about Attendance at Holocaust Memorial Event. On BBC Newsnight, Ellman claimed that she was ‘appalled’ to find out that Corbyn had been at the Holocaust memorial event eight years ago. Not only is this a lie, but she was actually there longer than Corbyn. He introduced the event, but had to hurry away to another engagement. He later returned. Ellman stayed throughout the event, including its disruption by a group of pro-Israel supporters. Shockingly, neither she nor her companion from the Board of Deputies of British Jews did anything to stop these interruptions, which including heckling speakers talking about other genocides. Her lie raises serious questions about Labour Friends of Israel. Shai Masot, the official at the Israeli embassy, who was exposed conspiring to select which Tory MPs should be in the cabinet, claimed to have been working with them. Yet while he was exposed and sent back to Israel, they have not been investigated. Beastrabban\'s Weblog.
- Transport Select Committee wants rapid decision on runway location – then sort out the problems later. The HoC Transport Select Committee, chaired by Louise Ellman (for years a strong advocate of a larger Heathrow) has published a report that wants the govt to make a rapid decision on the location of a new south east runway. Ms Ellman says Patrick Mcloughlin should set out a clear timetable of the decision-making process. AirportWatch, , May.04.2016
- Growing pains – expanding London’s airport capacity The question of how the UK should embark upon the expansion of its airport capacity has split the political classes asunder. Greg Noone talks to MPs Bob Neill of the Conservatives and Louise Ellman of the Labour Party, and Liberal Democrat Baroness Jennifer Randerson, member of the House of Lords, about the impasse and how the manner in which the issue is resolved will act as a statement not just about alleviating congestion but also on the future direction of the UK. FutureAirport.com, Greg Noone, Jul.18.2016
- Empowering the Regions. The future stability of a devolved Britain depends on successfully answering the English question. The process of devolution has left England untouched within an unbalanced constitutional settlement. To date, the English have shown a benign indifference to the issue of devolution. But in the long run, the attention of the English people will be increasingly drawn to advantages accruing to Scotland and Wales under devolution. Campaign for the English Regions, Dr John Tomaney, Mar.19.2012
- Territory, Identity and Spatial Planning Regional strategy building in North West England, pp.83-105 Publisher: Routledge, Editors: Mark Tewdwr-Jones, Phil Allmendinger, Jan.2006
- Today's suffragettes: ‘I was very determined to make a difference’. Voting Louise Ellman into office was a ground-breaking moment for women in the North West - the first female leader of Lancashire County Council. Burnley Express, Megan Titley, Feb.18.2018
- Palestinian Children are Caged like Animals with the support of Labour's Despicable MPs Louise Ellman and Joan Ryan. Is it anti-Semitic to describe Ellman & Ryan as Israeli MPs? In a debate in Parliament over the treatment of Palestinian children in Jan.2016, Louise Ellman, the Zionist MP for Liverpool Riverside, intervened three times in order to defend Israel's military. Tony Greenstein's Blog, Tony Greenstein, Dec.17.2017
- Why are Liverpool Riverside constituency meetings so divisive? The Labour MP discusses the "very unpleasant atmosphere". The Guardian, Ewen MacAskill, Sept.13.2016
- Fighting back: the veteran who defied conspirators to stand again. Liverpool Riverside may be Labour’s ninth safest seat in Britain, but for a time last year it was an uncomfortable place for Louise Ellman. Mrs Ellman had been targeted by hard-left activists at meetings of her constituency party. Members of the pro-Jeremy Corbyn Momentum group were said to have compared Hamas tunnels being dug from Gaza into Israel to those created by Jews attempting to escape the Warsaw ghetto and Nazi persecution. The Jewish Chronicle, Marcus Dysch, May.26.2017
- Louise Ellman urges action over abusive activist. The Jewish Liverpool MP urged her party to suspend Momentum members ‘hell-bent’ on attacking her. The Jewish News, , Sept.15.2016
- NEC uses #fakenews to force easy-to-abuse structure on Liverpool Riverside. Local Labour parties have two basic options in terms of their organisational structure. The simplest is based on a monthly "all-member CLP meeting". The second is the branch delegate option. Local "branches" are created, based on the council ward a member lives in. Those branches meet, discuss, vote – but the votes only affect the branch. Crucially, the branch must elect delegates, and only those delegates have the right to attend the main CLP meeting. So, 3 branches with a few people in total can outvote 2 branches with hundreds to select/deselect a candidate/MP. Right-wingers love the branch-delegate structure, because they can often exploit it to gain an influence far beyond their numbers in the CLP. The SkawkBox, , Jan.21.2017
- MPs clash over move to fully proscribe Hezbollah as a terror group. Politicians on both sides call for the whole group to be banned in the UK despite Labour leadership advising their MPs not to support the bid. Jewish News, JN Reporter, Jan.26.2018
- The Zionists’ war on Corbyn: What you need to know. Corbyn has a long record of support for the Palestinian people and other justice causes. His landslide victory in the Labour Party’s leadership election in Sept.2015 was a humiliating defeat for the Zionist lobby, in the shape of the Labour Friends of Israel group, which up to then had been in complete control of Labour’s leadership. Redress Online, Nureddin Sabir, May.03.2016
- Zionists smear Amnesty over "cocktail" joke. Benedict's tweet was made in the context of a parliamentary debate on Israel's attack on Gaza. The Electronic Intifada, Ben White, Jan.11.2013