John Redwood is a Conservative Party politician, and MP for Wokingham, Berkshire. Redwood is a long-term critic of the European Union, and supported Brexit in EURef-2016.ref He is a climate-science denier, is anti-abortion and pro-hanging. He has advocated tax breaks for private health care (Centre for Policy Studies pamphlet, 1987).
Redwood is Chief Global Strategist of investment management company Charles Stanley & Co Ltd (part of Charles Stanley Group).
- 1987-present: MP for Wokingham, Berkshire
- 1993: Wales Secretary in John Major's Cabinet
- 1995: Stood against John Major for leadership of the Tory party; received a grand total of 89 votes to Major's 219.
- 1997: Had another go at the Tory party leadership; failed again.
- 1997-2005: in the Shadow Cabinets of William Hague and Michael Howard
- ?date?-2010: Co-chairman of the Conservative Party's Policy Review Group on Economic Competitiveness
- Apr.1992: Minister for Local Govt
- 1983: Head of Margaret Thatcher's policy unit.
- Writes for the Centre for Policy Studies.
- Chair of Thatcherite No Turning Back Group, founded in 1985 to defend Margaret Thatcher's free-market reforms.
- Co-founder of the Eurosceptic Bruges Group, but had to leave when he became a minister.
- Member of the Eurosceptic pressure group Leave Means Leave ref
- ERG member.
- Jan.05.2019: John Redwood says UK is losing sight of Brexit benefits. Redwood said "We want to be out and we know it will work just fine.” Ken Clarke responded to Redwood by saying Brexit dividend was always a complete myth. Damien Gayle, The Guardian.
- Dec.30.2018: Knight of shame: honour for John Redwood takes the biscuit. Nobody quite seems to know why Redwood has been knighted, not even Redwood. When David Cameron handed out gongs to people engaged in such critical roles as choosing his wife’s frocks, I thought the bottom of the barrel had been reached, and scraped. However, news that John Redwood has been given a knighthood for “political and public service” takes the biscuit. Letters, Les Bright, The Guardian.
- Dec.29.2018: Knighthood won't stop me voting down Brexit deal, says John Redwood. Eurosceptic insists his mind is unchanged after PM accused of ‘dangling’ honours. Redwood was among 3e MPs awarded knighthoods, alongside the Conservative former minister Gary Streeter and Labour’s deputy chief whip, Alan Campbell. LibDem MP Layla Moran said the announcement brought “dishonour” on the system: “Knights of the realm are meant to represent the best of being British, not backstabbing Brexit extremists like John Redwood". Press Association, The Guardian.
- Jul.23.2018: Whistleblower Accuses Nine Organisations of Colluding over Hard Brexit. Newly appointed Brexit minister Dominic Raab and environment secretary Michael Gove were active supporters of the ERG before being promoted to cabinet roles ref, while international trade secretary Liam Fox has also used the ERG to gather support among MPs. Tory MP John Redwood, former environment secretary Owen Paterson and new peer Peter Lilley are also members of the ERG and notable climate science deniers. DeSmog Blog.
- Jul.09.2018: Never mind cabinet power struggles – the Brexiteers’ vision is chilling. They know May’s plan won’t survive a first brush with the EU. The endgame is to crash out, and a neo-Thatcherite revolution. What’s their endgame? The same as ever: no deal, crash out, walk away. In their Brexlandia, there is only clean-break purity. Patrick Minford spells out their goals: no tariffs, no barriers, no regulations, open free trade with the world. Let those who can swim survive; it matters not that the rest will drown. Throwbacks like John Redwood believe the problem with Thatcher’s revolution is that it didn’t go far enough. Polly Toynbee, The Guardian.