Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Peter Mandelson
- Cartoon: "RIP New Labour; Mandy, the midwife of the dread-child that was New Labour, lurks around and acts as its undertaker too. Ashes to Ashes", http://www.andydavey.com/images/galleries/10/blowup/435.jpeg
- Everyone forgets Mandelson, and the £373,000 he was secretly loaned by a man whose finances he was supposed to be investigating. (Toby Young)
- Feb.02.2018: Manchester is not a 'radical city', Salford is - of housing, Labour, and neoliberal bastions. Manchester is the last refuge of the neoconservatives. We can see this in Peter Mandelson's appointment to Chancellor at Manchester Metropolitan University. We can see it in George Osborne's announcement of his Northern Powerhouse vision at the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) and then with David Cameron in the Old Granada Studios. The former Conservative Chancellor of the Exchequer greatly admires Sir Howard Bernstein, an icon of neoliberal city governance. Manchester's real power is Sir Richard Leese. OpenDemocracyUK, Steve Hanson
- Aug.19.2016: Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson urged to stop supporting Peter Mandelson's deals with Zimbabwe. Former UK minister Lord Mandelson criticised over deal with controversial minister Patrick Chinamasa. Labour MP Kate Hoey has urged Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson to end all assistance for former business secretary Peter Mandelson pursuing his business interests in Zimbabwe, a country with poor human rights records. Earlier this month, it was reported that Catriona Laing, the British Ambassador to Zimbabwe, had encouraged and supported a business meeting between Lord Mandelson, a former Labour cabinet minister turned investment bank adviser, and Patrick Chinamasa, Zimbabwe's controversial finance minister, in the capital Harare in February. Mandelson left the govt in 2010 before becoming chairman of Lazard International, a division of US investment bank Lazard. At the time, Mandelson denied his visit was in any way linked to his position within Lazard, but it later transpired that Chinamasa was engaged in negotiations on a bailout with Lazard. Hoey condemned Mandelson's relations with Chinamasa who she claims was "rewarded for his role in destroying the rule of law" in Zimbabwe. Elsa Buchanan, International Business Times.
- Jun.13.2016: Lord Mandelson installed as Chancellor. The Rt Hon Lord Mandelson has today (June 13) been officially installed as Chancellor of Manchester Metropolitan University during a grand ceremony at Manchester Town Hall. Yhe former Labour minister and European Trade Commissioner was presented as Chancellor to become the University’s fourth such figurehead. Manchester Metropolitan University News, '
- Jul.04.1999: Mandelson tops 'freebies' list. Peter Mandelson, MP for Hartlepool, broke HoC rules by belatedly declaring free foreign trips worth thousands of pounds in the 5 months after he was forced to resign from the Cabinet in disgrace. An analysis of the latest Register of Members' Interests reveals that the former Trade Secretary topped the league table of MPs who had overseas trips paid for by third parties this year. Between Jan. May, Mandelson travelled abroad 8 times, with the expenses being picked up by a range of companies and institutions. Two trips he took in January to Paris and Cologne, paid for by oil giant BP and the Foreign Policy Centre were not declared until March. The revelations will further embarrass Mandelson after he was rebuked last week by the Commons Standards and Privileges Committee for not registering the £373,000 home loan from former Treasury Minister Geoffrey Robinson that forced his resignation in Dec.1998. (Hudson Institute, Rupert Murdoch, Tony Blair, AEEU, Institute of Public Policy Research, Progessive Foundation) The Guardian, Antony Barnett