Adam Smith Institute
- Transparency Rating: Who Funds You? 
- Transparency Rating: Transparify 
- Member of the Atlas Network
- Adam Smith Institute, 23 Great Smith Street, London SW1P 3DJ
- Tobacco Tactics: IEA Links, Tobacco Tactics: Adam Smith Institute
- DeSmog Blog
- Much favoured by Margaret Thatcher, the ASI's main focus is the introduction of free market policies.
- "Our People": Dr Madsen Pirie (President), Dr Eamonn Butler (Director), Sam Dumitriu (Head of Research), Matt Kilcoyne (Head of Communications), Daniel Pryor (Head of Programmes), Philip Salter (Director, The Entrepreneurs Network), Sophie Jarvis (Programmes Director, The Entrepreneurs Network).
- Senior Fellows: Dominique Lazanski, Dr Tim Evans, Eben Wilson, Gabriel Stein, Jamie Whyte, JP Floru, Keith Boyfield, Lars Christensen, Miles Saltiel, Nigel Hawkins, Preston Byrne, Prof. Anthony J Evans, Prof. Deepak Lal, Prof. Kevin Dowd, Tim Ambler, Tim Worstall, Tom Clougherty, Tom Papworth.
- Fellows: Anton Howes, Christopher Snowdon, Dr Helen Evans, James Bartholomew, Roland Smith, Vuk Vukovic
- Prof Paul Cheshire on the harms of planning restrictions. Prof Paul Cheshire, Emeritus Professor of Economic Geography at the London School of Economics, will speak about the unintended consequences of more restrictive local planning. (see National Housing and Planning Advice Unit) Adam Smith Institute. Accessed Feb.17.2018.
- March TNG with Gillian Keegan MP. For our third TNG (The Next Generation) of 2018, we're hosting hotly-tipped Tory MP Gillian Keegan, Chichester's first female member of Parliament. TNG is the Adam Smith Institute’s network for young classical liberals and libertarians. Adam Smith Institute. Accessed Feb.17.2018.
- Oct.03.2017: Preventing club drug deaths: a new approach. The Adam Smith Institute is partnering with drug reform think tank Volteface and the Night Time Industries Association to present a fringe event on club drugs, harm reduction and the night time economy. Adam Smith Institute.
- Feb.17.2018: Adam Smith Institute Partners: https://www.adamsmith.org/partnered-conferences/. Under the Terms of a Licensing Agreement Adam Smith Institute has agreed to grant to ASC rights to use the trademarks such as Adam Smith Conferences. Please visit their website: http://www.adamsmithconferences.com/page/contact-us
- Nov.25.2017: Asked a few questions to this Adam Smith Institute fellow, about the Institute's funders, the corporation that bought the right to use its name to organise conferences in Russia -w/ Putin as a speaker, the fact Institute's proposals app. tend to become law. Facts Central, Twitter.
- Jun.27.2017: Adam Smith Institute. The marketing and public relations for the most inhumane and most destructive wealth terrorists. Its objective is to promote extreme free-market annihilation of society for the benefit of a small minority of soulless financial gangsters. A cursory glance between the lines of the ASI Policy reveals the aims of an expansion of fee-paying schools and of an expansion of the taxes drain into the hands of privateers. And an admission that the quality and usefulness of education is irrelevant to these scoundrels. Philip Salter, Ben Southwood, Sam Bowman, Matthew Kilcoyne, DuckSoap.
Nix, nada, zip.
The Adam Smith Institute has raised $1.4m from American donors since 2008. It has partnered with the Initiative for Free Trade and USA libertarian thinktanks to launch a blueprint for a free trade deal between the UK and US. The Institute said the funds were spent on the making of a film about Magna Carta, with money from the Templeton Foundation, and studentships.
See also Transparify 2017 Report, p.8
Adam Smith Conferences
- Same deal with the "Home" button:
- Dec.06.2017: Noticed something weird, though. Address listed on the Bloomberg website wasn't consistent with the address(es) Adam Smith Conferences provides for itself. Bloomberg: 6th Floor, 29 Bressenden Place, London SW1E 5DR. ASC: Adam Smith Conferences, 14 Gray's Inn Rd, London WC1X 8HN. So researched some more. Facts Central, Twitter.
- Nov.22.2017: Hello! There is no link, we aren't affiliated with that organisation. Daniel Pryor, Twitter.
- Nov.22.2017: Is there any chance you could tell me the link between the Adam Smith Institute and this: Adam Smith Conferences? Facts Central, Twitter.
- Informa plc: 2008: Informa Group owned "Adam Smith Conferences" as part of its Commercial Divison.ref
- Reports > link
- Feb.2016: Informa sold of its Adam Smith Conference business, Corporate Communications International Ltd, to Pestana Management Ltd (via shares in Pestana)
- Pestana @ Bloomberg: 25 Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1JE (https://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/companies/0227028D:LN-pestana-management-uk-ltd)
Who is at 14 Gray's Inn Rd, London WC1X 8HN: >>  (zip) Companies House:
- "Corporate Communications International Ltd": CH
- > Mr Constantine Orlando Bridgeman, C/O Irwin Mitchell Llp, Belmont House, Station Way, Crawley, England, RH10 1JA
- > Iir Management Ltd, 5 Howick Place, London, England, SW1P 1WG
- > 04 Sep 2017, Full accounts p.21: on Feb.2016 parent was IIR; then was Pestana, incorporated in Cyprus, t/a Trinity Events Group.
Links between ASI and ASC
- Four days with the Adam Smith Institute. Data Matrix took part in annual conferences «Innovative Drug Research and Development in Russia» and «Clinical Trials in Russia» organised by the Adam Smith Institute. DataMatrix. Accessed Feb.17.2018.
Private Investor Russia
- Has a link on it's "Home" button that leads directly to ASC.
- Check out some of these names sometime.
- Sept.28.2018: US groups raise $millions to support rightwing UK thinktanks. Anonymous donors have given $5.6m since 2008 to groups linked to 4 thinktanks: the Institute of Economic Affairs, the Adam Smith Institute, Policy Exchange and the Legatum Institute. These 4 are some of strongest proponents of radical free trade deals with reduced regulation – positions likely to benefit big American businesses. They have a policy of not disclosing their donors, arguing they respect their backers’ right to privacy. They have all published or contributed to policy papers that advocate a Brexit deal that makes a clean break from EU regulations. The IEA, Adam Smith Institute and Legatum Institute are part of the Atlas Network, which "connects a global network of 475+ free-market organisations in 90+ countries to the ideas and resources needed to advance the cause of liberty". Rob Evans, Felicity Lawrence, David Pegg, The Guardian.
- Jun.03.2018: ‘Cut pensions to fund care bill’. The pension triple lock should be scrapped to free up funds for social care, according to the Adam Smith Institute. It also wants benefits such as free television licences for the over-75s and winter fuel payments to be reviewed so that older but wealthier people make a greater contribution to their own generation's care costs. A report co-authored by Eamonn Butler and Paul Saper, a healthcare investment consultant, argues that cutting benefits for the elderly would enable the govt to underwrite the costs of long-term care. Nicholas Hellen, The Sunday Times. Paper is here.
- Jan.08.2018: Does anyone know what Philip May's role was when he worked for Deutsche Bank? (Deutsche Bank participating in conferences organised by bought-its-name-from-Adam-Smith-Institute / has-speakers-like-Kushner & Putin Adam Smith Conferences). @Hayleeee1848, Twitter.
- Nov.08.2017: We can't ignore Priti Patel's background in lobbying. Britain's now former international development minister sits in the centre of the UK's dark money-funded think tank-lobbying industrial complex. Having been caught holding secret meetings with the Israeli govt, it looks like Britain's Brexit-backing International Development Secretary is in a pickle. Key context is missing from much of the coverage: Priti Patel’s vital role in 'thinktankistan': Britain’s dark-money funded nexus of think tanks, corporate PR, and lobbying. And in particular, the lobbying and business group links relevant to her controversial trip to Israel this summer. Before being elected an MP in 2010, Priti Patel worked for the PR company Weber Shandwick. Two years ago, Jamie Doward at the Observer revealed that one of her clients in this period was British American Tobacco. British American Tobacco have long been main funders of Britain’s nexus of right-wing, mostly Brexit-backing, think tanks. Tobacco Tactics have revealed both the Institute for Economic Affairs and the Adam Smith Institute – perhaps the two most important right-wing ‘think tanks’ in the UK – have received regular funding from British American Tobacco over decades. ... Israel, Bahrain, Gulf. Rimon Cohen, Promoseven ... In 2014, the right wing British ‘think tank’, the Henry Jackson Society, paid for Patel to attend a conference in Washington DC organised by the powerful (AIPAC) on security in the Middle East. The Henry Jackson Society are so secretive about their funding that they pulled their support for two parliamentary groups rather than reveal where they get their cash from. The Charity Commission announced earlier this year that it was investigating the HJS amidst allegations that it had been paid by the Japanese govt to spread anti-China propaganda. Patel's "family holiday" to Israel this summer: the meetings were arranged by Stuart Polak, the honourary president and former director of Conservative Friends of Israel. In 2009, Peter Oborne wrote a comprehensive report on the extensive power that CFI exerts within the Tory party. It’s worth reading in full. Adam Ramsay, openDemocracy.
- Jan.31.2017: Deutsche pays £500m/£163m over money laundering failures to the Financial Conduct Authority. ...DB was used by unidentified customers to transfer ~$10bn of unknown origin, from Russia to offshore bank accounts. DB agreed a $7.2bn settlement with US authorities earlier this month over mis-selling of mortgage backed securities. City Wire.
- Philip May today works for Capital Group Companies Inc "making sure clients are happy". Capital Group is a nursing staff supplier for the NHS (within the scrapped-but-not-yet pay caps). Also a supplier for high quality private healthcare (nurses + doctors). Capital Locums is the private doctors division of Capital Group, we offer an established and exclusive service for GP practices and hospitals across the UK. Capital Locums
- Dec.04.1998: The wonks are coming of age. Rarely have think-tanks had such an opportunity to influence policy. Eamonn Butler of the pro-free market Adam Smith Institute claims "We have the same relationship with this govt as we had with the previous one". Caroline Daniel, New Statesman.
- Transparency Comparison Table. Who Funds You?. Accessed Aug.2018.
- How Has Think Tank Transparency Evolved in 2018? Transparify, Jul.16.2018.
- Sept.28.2018: US groups raise $millions to support rightwing UK thinktanks. Anonymous donors have given $5.6m since 2008 to groups linked to 4 thinktanks: the Institute of Economic Affairs, the Adam Smith Institute, Policy Exchange and the Legatum Institute. Rob Evans, Felicity Lawrence, David Pegg, The Guardian.